29 November 2011

My [excellent] Life

Excellent:

1. possessing outstanding quality or superior merit; remarkably good.
2. My life

Hi! I'm Jess! I live in New Orleans (the most excellent city in the world), with B (my most excellent husband), and Annie, Edith, and Rufus (the most excellent cats in existence). I'm 34 excellent years old and I have 3 degrees and the not-so-excellent accompanying student loan debt. But I'm not worried, because I know I'm one of the luckiest gals around.

I teach English as a Second Language (a truly excellent job), and I make frequent attempts to make excellent craft and sewing projects (often I fail at these, but I fail excellently). I also make truly excellent baked goods.

I enjoy living my life in multiple spectrums at once. I have a filthy mouth, but like delicate sentiments. I wear combat boots with flowery perfume. I love horror films and show tunes. I try to be a good listener, though I acknowledge that I may be a bit outspoken and bossy.

Last week was Thanksgiving, and I spent some serious time thinking about my life....well, okay, I stole a few minutes between parties and adventures to think about my life. Anyway, I came to the conclusion that my life is truly excellent (and some other swell adjectives too).

I have too many people, experiences, and things to be thankful for; I nearly bust thinking about them all!....Well, ok, mostly I was near to busting due to turkey, baked goods, and cheap wine, but that's for another tale (and adjective).

I used to have another blog, called "Just Jess," where I tried to make my life seem interesting and chronicled my crafty adventures. But I lost my way with that blog long ago; I think I forgot why I started it in the first place.

As a language teacher and anthropologist, I'm fascinated by the way language shapes how we perceive the world. Simply by naming something (or describing something with a creative adjective) we, in essence, create it.

I'm a big fan of adjectives, so I'm going to challenge myself to adjective-ize my life and create some new perspectives with some frequency on this blog. I plan to celebrate adjective-worthy experiences with blog posts. Each post will focus around a particular event and a particular adjective. Hopefully most of these events will be excellent and positive, though I'm hoping to chronicle and appreciate less-than-perfect moments too. And I encourage you to do the same!

Welcome to my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment